7.29.2022

Jedi (Star Wars) Cosplay

Hi! Let's get right into it >

^by Glass Bottle Photo

    The Jedi keep their outfits fairly plain- no fancy garments or jewelry etc. I did a bunch of research (to be honest, I haven't read any Star Wars books), taking inspiration from the movies as well as works of art done by other people (credit where it's due). 




    For the tunic, I actually just used an old karate gi that I still had. It seemed to fit in terms of how martial arts tends to also emphasize simplicity (I think). It had the right look I wanted and still fit so I removed the patches that would be showing and that's all I did for this part of the outfit. Another more likely option you can do is get a simple top and bottom or tunic from a renaissance faire or make one. It doesn't have to be fancy but it would be good to have a breathable material as the Jedi tend to wear multiple layers.


    The robe I got from etsy.com at this shop: JediRobeAmerica. And this is a nice robe. It feels like durable material but is still light and flowy. Super comfortable. Just note, it says one size fits all but is not recommended for people under 5' 7" according to their description. (For reference I am 5' 8"). But, there are other shops, and if you want to, you can make one.

^by Glass Bottle Photo

^by Glass Bottle Photo

Ok, moving on to the smaller 'over-tunic' (as I call it) and the undershirt.

^by Glass Bottle Photo

    The over-tunic I made myself from material I got from Joann Fabrics. I don't remember the exact name but it's a beige color and I believe is linen. This was a leftover somewhat-rectangular piece so I decided to just fold over the edges and sew them to keep them from unraveling.


I measured out where the head would go through:


Then I cut and hemmed around the neck and pinned the extra material around the shoulders into a simple pleat (kind of). I really just folded it until it looked nice.





I cut off the extra material and sewed the parts around the shoulders.


The 'V' matches the tunic when they're both on. This over-tunic goes down over the head and is tucked into the belt. One thing I might change is sewing the sides together, just a little ways, to help keep it together. But I do like how it is a simple layer yet adds more to the outfit.

^by Glass Bottle Photo

^by Glass Bottle Photo
    
    The black undershirt, I got from an SCA event at this shop> Badass Garb. Like other parts of my outfits, I will reuse a piece if it works with the cosplay (and also to save $). So this shirt I already had, and I though it would be an interesting point to have black (usually associated with the Sith) underneath all the white. It's a very simple long sleeve linen shirt. It looks hot but this material is really light and surprisingly breathable!



    Onto the boots. I found ones that I could also use outside of cosplay on amazon. "Dream Pairs Women's Faux Fur-Lined Knee High Winter Boots" in trace-brown color. I'm not sure if the Jedi had buckles anywhere on their outfits but I let it go because these were not as expensive as some of the other more accurate boots out there. (at least that I could find) But they're really comfortable and went with the rest of my outfit nicely!

^by Glass Bottle Photo

^by Glass Bottle Photo
    I decided to go with a purple lightsaber. I got mine from saberforge.com I went with one of the cheaper simpler designs- Aeon apprentice- But when I got it, it was excellent quality and felt like what I think an actual light saber would feel like. Light but sturdy and easy to grip and spin in your hands. The belt clip is the Covertech 02 also from saberforge.





^by Glass Bottle Photo

    I later added the purple day blade and basic warrior kit, which are also available on their site. They have an easy-to-follow video tutorial for installing the electronics. (Make sure yours can actually fit the right electronics.)

Daytime not lit

Daytime lit

Closed room, no lights, lit

    I hope this information was helpful if you're doing your own Jedi cosplay! Or I hope it was interesting either way. I will be doing another post going into the detail of the belt, pouches, and small prop details.


JEDI COSPLAY PHOTOSHOOT (how we got some of these^ amazing photos)>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QpocEYfB1R8

GLASS BOTTLE PHOTO>
https://www.glassbottlephoto.com/

Go to the second part of this walk-through! >
https://warriorclassstudios.blogspot.com/2022/07/jedi-cosplay-belt-pouches-and-small.html


^by Glass Bottle Photo

"Train yourself to let go of everything you fear to lose."



Thanks for being here:)

{WarriorClassStudios}

No comments:

Post a Comment